IUI 2020 : ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces
Call For Papers
# ACM IUI 2020: Call for Papers
* Cagliari, Italy
* March 17-20, 2020
* Contact: email@example.com
## Upcoming deadlines
Abstract: Oct 1, 2019 (compulsory)
Paper submission: Oct 8, 2019
## ACM IUI 2020
ACM IUI 2020 is the 25th annual premier international forum for reporting outstanding research and development on intelligent user interfaces.
ACM IUI is where the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and the Artificial Intelligence (AI) communities meet,
with contributions from related fields such as psychology, behavioral science, cognitive science, computer graphics,
design, the arts, and more. Our focus is to improve the interaction between humans and digital technology,
by leveraging both HCI approaches and state-of-the art AI techniques from machine learning, natural language
processing, data mining, knowledge representation and reasoning.
### Why you should submit to ACM IUI
While other conferences focus on either the AI or HCI side of this research, we address the complex interaction between the two. We strongly encourage submissions that simultaneously discuss research from both HCI and AI. We also welcome works that focus more on one side or the other, but still highlight the connections between the two. We value papers that contribute to the methodology or theory for evaluation of intelligent user interfaces. We do not require
evaluations with users, but we do expect papers to include an appropriate evaluation for their stated contributions.
ACM IUI welcomes contribution from all relevant arenas, academia, industry, government, and non-profit organizations, and gives its participants the opportunity to present and see cutting-edge IUI work in a focused and interactive setting. The conference is large enough to be diverse and lively, but small enough to allow for extensive interaction among attendees and easy attendance to the events that the conference offers, ranging from oral paper presentations, poster sessions, workshops, panels and doctoral consortium for graduate students.
We accept two forms of contributions: long and short papers. They should both make novel contributions to IUI, however
* long papers should make more substantial and significant contributions.
* short papers can contain more preliminary and focused contributions.
Accepted papers will appear in the ACM Digital Library and citation indices. A selected set of accepted top quality
full papers will be invited to submit their extended versions for publication in an ACM Transactions on Interactive
Intelligent Systems (TiiS, http://tiis.acm.org) special issue titled "Highlights of IUI 2020".
IUI topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Application areas
* Education and learning-related technologies
* Health and intelligent health technologies
* Assistive technologies
* Social media technologies
* Artificial personal assistants
* Information retrieval, search, and recommendation system
* Interface types
* Affective and aesthetic interfaces
* Collaborative interfaces
* Intelligent wearable and mobile interfaces
* Ubiquitous smart environments
* Agent based interfaces (e.g., embodied agents)
* Multi-modal interfaces (speech, gestures, eye gaze, face, physiological information etc.)
* Conversational interfaces
* Tangible interfaces
* Intelligent visualization
* Methods and approaches
* Methods for explanations (e.g., transparency, control, and trust )
* Persuasive technologies in IUI
* Planning and plan recognition for IUI
* Knowledge-based approaches to user interface design and generation
* User Modelling for Intelligent Interfaces
* User-Adaptive interaction and personalization
* Crowd computing and human computation
* Human-in-the loop machine learning
* Evaluations of intelligent user interfaces
* Mixed-methods evaluations
* Oct 1, 2019: Abstract deadline (compulsory)
* Oct 8, 2019: Papers deadline
* Dec 12, 2019: Notification
* Jan 17, 2020: Camera ready due
* Mar 17, 2020: Conference starts
## Submission - Full and Short Papers
We invite original paper submissions that describe novel user interfaces, applications, interactive and intelligent technologies, empirical studies, or design techniques. We do not require evaluations with users, but we do expect papers to include an appropriate evaluation for their stated contribution.
Accepted papers will appear in the ACM Digital Library and citation indices. A selected set of accepted top quality full papers will be invited to submit their extended versions for publication in an ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS, http://tiis.acm.org) special issue titled "Highlights of IUI 2020".
### Submission Guidelines
* Full paper (anonymized 10 pages, references do not count toward the page limit) should make substantial, novel, and relevant contribution to the field.
* Short paper (anonymized 4 pages, references do not count toward the page limit) is a much more focused and succinct contribution to the field. Short papers are not expected to include a discussion of related work that is as broad and complete as that of Full papers.
* Anonymization: ACM IUI uses a double-blind review process. All submissions must be appropriately anonymized according to the following guidelines:
* Author’s names and affiliations are not visible anywhere in the paper.
* Acknowledgements should be anonymized or removed during the review process.
* Self-citations should be included where necessary, but must use the third person. For example, "... as shown in our previous user study  ... " is not allowed, whereas "... as shown in Smith et al.  " is acceptable (because in this case the citation  will NOT be perceived as self-citation).
* Failure to follow these guidelines may result in submissions being rejected without review.
* Authors should also be aware of the SIGCHI Policy for Submission and Review at SIGCHI Conferences (https://sigchi.org/about/sigchi-policies/conference-policies/submission-and-review/)
* Submissions should follow the standard sigconf format, using one of the Interim ACM templates available at http://www.acm.org/publications/article-templates/proceedings-template.html:
** LaTex Template for Papers (https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/publications/consolidated-tex-template/acmart-master.zip)
** Microsoft Word Template for Papers (https://www.acm.org/binaries/content/assets/publications/word_style/interim-template-style/interim-layout-.docx)
* Authors are required to include a proper classification for the paper according to the ACM Classification System (CCS). Additional information on how to use it is available at: http://dl.acm.org/ccs/ccs.cfm
Accepted full papers will be invited for oral presentation. Accepted short papers will be invited either as oral or poster presentation, depending on the nature and quality of the paper.
#### Please note:
ACM IUI 2020 is using what is called PCS 2.0 (https://new.precisionconference.com) for paper submissions. To aid SIGCHI in the process of paper submission and management, this system and hence its interface is still in development.
You are encouraged to report PCS 2.0 problems or to make interface suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Cristina Conati, University of British Columbia, Canada
* Davide Spano, University of Cagliari, Italy
* Nava Tintarev, University of Delft, Netherlands
* Contact: email@example.com