IMC Art & Science 2019 : Innovative Methodologies: International Art & Science Conference
Call For Papers
Innovative Methodologies: International Art & Science Conference
Zagreb, 9-11 April 2019
Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Zagreb
We organize this international art & science conference in the last year of our research project founded by Croatian Science Foundation: http://artandscienceresearch.hr.
One of the most innovative parts of our project, directly connected to the state-of–the-art research in the interdisciplinary field, is in combining methodological benefits of practice-led research in performing arts with up-to-date research in cognitive philosophy in the treatment of the interdisciplinary positioned research topic of enactivity in performing arts. Our research interests lie in the development and application of systems science to modeling specific dynamics inherent in production and reception of art. Our intention is to show the methodological benefits, and artistic and scientific applicability of the research method without quantitative-qualitative dichotomy. We explore the dynamics of methodology transfer between arts and sciences. The main purpose of our recent research is in giving new scope to exploring the dynamics of exchange connected to the notion of “performance” applied in artistic ”creation”, as well as in the study and representation of lives.
The topic of this conference and its wide, interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary scope is in tune with the main focus of our recent work, offering the possibility to other scholars and practitioners to share with our research team and with the international academic milieu their particular theoretical and practical insights into methodological issues connected to the concept of creativity and innovation. We live in the times of unprecedented global changes marked by complex relationship between technological innovation, social (in)justice and ecology. The underlying question of all debates on innovative methodologies among experts in different fields of science and arts is how to reconnect culture and nature, how to change conceptual approaches to the interior dimension of sustainability were the values and norms are made. We have made the list of recommended topics that is by no means exclusive.
Recommended topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- models of discovery: creativity and/in/versus innovation
- creativity and cultural improvisation
- engineering of creativity
- innovative mix-method approaches
- remix(ed) methods and multimethodology
- the role of systems methodology in interdisciplinary research
- co-creating qualitative research
- practice-based research in arts, humanities and cultural studies
- innovative methodological hybrids in human geography
- researching performance - performing research
- research as a lived process: archives and beyond
- lived research and methodology: what’s new in feminist analysis?
- rethinking gender-studies research methods
- anti-oppressive arts-based methodologies
- the politics of science and innovation policies
- management of creativity
- philosophical methodology/ philosophy as methodology
- experimental philosophy: its advances and discontents
- methodological cognitivism - pro et contra
- enactivism as a methodology?/ enactivism as a new paradigm connecting neurophenomenology, social robotics and distributed cognition?
- the neuroscience of creativity: art, science and the brain
- neural networks methodologies and their application to real-world problems
- embodiment and digital technology research
- methodological innovation in digital arts
- creative pedagogy and innovative methodologies in education
- complexity theory and transdisciplinary research methodology
- social-ecological innovation: methodologies to bridge the gap between sciences and society; between technological development and social inequality
Call for Proposals:
1. Standard Conference Papers – 20 minutes presentations based on scientific research or practice-led theoretical research.
2. Performance Lectures – 20 minutes based on thinking-and(as)-doing performance philosophy approach.
3. Art & Science Presentations - 20 minutes with special preference for performative and conceptual artistic, new-media and mixed-media presentations, techno-art presentations and bio-art presentations. (Presentation materials need to be provided by presenters themselves)
Proposals for all formats need to be submitted by
Friday, February 15th 2019
(and will be answered by March 1st 2019)
All submissions will be subject to review.
We actively encourage doctoral and post-doctoral researchers to submit their proposals.
Conference Fee should be payed by
Friday, March 8th 2019
Please, send your proposal in one (1) single document consisting of the following:
• name and surname
• affiliation (if applicable)
• proposed presentation title
• a presentation abstract (max. 500 words, plus 5 keywords)
• a short CV of the author (max. 250 words)
Please, ensure that you include your surname as the first word in the file name of the document you send, followed by the acronym of the conference IMC (e.g. Smith_IMC)
Please, do not send any additional documents beyond the material requested above.
Send your proposals at:
· 50 EUR for salaried / waged presenters
· 35 EUR for unwaged / doctoral student presenters
These fees are put towards the costs of running the conference
Bank Institution: HRVATSKA POŠTANSKA BANKA d.d.
Bank/Branch Institution Address: 10000 Zagreb, Jurišićeva 4
S.W.I.F.T. (BIC): HPBZHR2X
Acc. Holder Name: Sveučilište u Zagrebu Akademija dramske umjetnosti
Acc. Holder Address: Trg Republike Hrvatske 5, HR-10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Purpose: 'Participant's Name – IMC Conference Fee '