SiBW 2018 : Software-intensive Business Workshop on Start-ups, Platforms and Ecosystems
Call For Papers
Software-intensive Business Workshop: Start-ups, Platforms and Ecosystems
December 3rd, 2018
in Espoo (Greater Helsinki), Finland.
The role of software and software-intensive businesses is still, after decades, ever-growing in our society. There is hardly a field or an industrial domain where software-intensive solutions have not revolutionized the business. Software start-up research as well as software ecosystem and platform research form the cornerstone of the emerging academic discipline of software-intensive business.
Software start-ups are an important new branch of economic activity. The fields of these start-ups range from casual software on mobile devices (‘apps’) to critical business applications, and technological trends, such as cloud computing, mobile software development, open source software and global information sharing further accelerate the rise of software start-ups. They also enable new ways of starting up software business, such as fund crowdsourcing, global start-ups, and so on.
Software ecosystems and platforms are pervasively cross-cutting different areas of software-intensive business, from product and service design to computer game development and deployment. The breakthrough of software ecosystems has led to research, management and engineering challenges. Opening product architectures and platforms for third parties, designing closed innovation networks among partners through APIs and SDKs, coordinating multiple platforms, or participative engineering across organizational borders are all variants of ecosystems that come with their own opportunities and threats at the same time.
Software intensive Business Workshop: Startups, Platforms and Ecosystems 2018 continues increasing the body of knowledge about software-intensive business by providing a forum to exchange ideas and discuss the most recent innovations, trends and experiences in the field. SiBW 2018 further aims to build and shape the community of leading practitioners and research experts by providing forums for the exchange of research results and industrial practice in in software-intensive business.
The SiBW 2018 seeks submissions of papers describing novel research, experience reports, as well as emerging ideas. We invite the submission from research and industrial practice describing original and unpublished results in the field of software-intensive business. The focus of the workshop is on new promising ideas and, therefore, also work-in-progress reports are welcomed to ignite discussion in the workshop.
Topics of interest include, but are certainly not limited, to the following aspects of start-ups, ecosystems, and platforms:
- Ecosystem and platform architecture, evolution and lifecycle
- Tools for inter-system static and/or dynamic analysis, visualization, and monitoring
- App orchestration and architectures
- Experience reports on best practices in ecosystem design, modelling and architectures
- Empirical studies of software ecosystems
- Processes for ecosystems and community management
- Business cases, economics, strategies and governance for software ecosystems
- Social and collaborative aspects of software ecosystems
- Failure and success stories of software start-ups
- Impact of new technological trends on software start-ups
- Lean start-up concepts and their implication to software business
- Customer/Consumer Development
- Underlying theories/principles for software start-ups
- Software Requirement engineering in software start-ups
- Agile approaches in software start-ups
- Marketing practices in software start-ups
- Practices of user involvement in software start-ups
- Challenges and opportunities in financing software start-ups
In addition, also other aspects of software-intensive business research are welcomed.
The workshop is held a day before SLUSH 2018. SLUSH has grown into one of the leading events of its kind and it is the largest one in Northern Europe. During the last years, SLUSH has had over 20,000 attendees and over 2,000 start-ups from 130 countries. SLUSH 2018 is going to be held on December 4–5 in Helsinki, Finland. We strongly suggest researchers planning to come to SiBW 2018 to stay a few extra days and buy tickets to SLUSH.
Submission: October 1st, 2018
Notification: November 5th, 2018
Camera-ready: November 26th, 2018
The workshop: December 3rd, 2018
SLUSH: December 4-5th, 2018
SUBMISSION OF PAPERS
We welcome both research and industry papers. They must be original and not submitted to or accepted by any other workshop, conference or journal. All accepted papers will be offered for CEUR-WS proceedings for publication. There is no strict page limit, but the recommended length for submissions ranges from 10 to 15 pages.
Please prepare your manuscript by using LNBIP templates:
Papers should be submitted in PDF format by using EasyChair: