Presumption to Responsibility 2017 : Presumption to Responsibility. Museums and contested history. Saying the unspeakable in museums
Call For Papers
Once selected, items included in museum collections themselves suggest they are account of our ability to objectively document our history. Exhibitions or numerous publications show if and how we are able to interpret events the particular society does not necessarily take pride in, or would preferably erase it from its history, including physical artefacts.
The forthcoming conference is expected to focus on interpretative attitudes of today’s museum professionals to those periods of history that are broadly perceived negatively or “rather negatively” or controversially by the public for whatever reason.
June 30, 2017: Submission deadline
July 2017: Acceptance notification
November, 22–25, 2017: Conference
SUBMITING OF PROPOSALS
We are inviting the following submissions
- Research papers (20-minute talk on recent research or theoretical issues)
- Short talks (5-minute talk, explanation of certain problem)
- Every lecture or talk will be followed by discussion (10 minutes)
- Day 3 will be closed by panel discussion
Fill in the registration form here:
All papers will be reviewed by the expert panel of ICOM Czechia, ICOM Slovakia, ICOM Austria and host partners.
Papers will be selected according to the following criteria
- Papers which address the conference themes
- Papers which are deliverable in the format and time allotted
The selection panel reserves the right to suggest alternate formats for proposals. The selection panel’s decision is final.
THE CONFERENCE WILL BE
- International. The participants from all over the world are welcomed to share ideas as well as problems with realisations.
- Open-minded. New approaches and ideas are welcome.
- Honest. We value presentations that are open about failures as well as successes. A critical but correct discussion will be welcomed.
- In time. Timing is very important; please take care about the time of your lecture or talk in a discussion. The chair-person is authorized to stop all too long presentations expanding the limit.
- Translated. Interpreting will be provided among Czech/Slovak, English and German
language. Please speak slowly and allow the translators to translate your talk