RACISM 2022 : RACISM, NATIONALISM AND XENOPHOBIA - 5th International Interdisciplinary Conference Online
Call For Papers
CONFERENCE ONLINE (via Zoom)
It is widely known that ideologies of racism, nationalism, and xenophobia are dangerous and spread all over the world. We want to examine these terms as much as possible, from many perspectives and variable aspects: in politics, society, psychology, culture, and many more. We also want to devote considerable attention to how the phenomena of racism, nationalism and xenophobia are represented in artistic practices: in literature, film, theatre or visual arts.
Our first conference on racism, nationalism and xenophobia took place in Warsaw, in March 2016. The second edition was held in June 2018 and the next ones in 2020 and 2021. We hosted over 140 scholars representing universities and research institutions from all over the world.
We invite researchers representing various academic disciplines: history, politics, psychology, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, economics, law, literary studies, theatre studies, film studies, fine arts, design, memory studies, migration studies, consciousness studies, dream studies, gender studies, postcolonial studies, medical sciences, psychiatry, psychoanalysis, cognitive sciences et al.
Different forms of presentations are encouraged, including case studies, theoretical investigations, problem-oriented arguments, and comparative analyses.
We will be happy to hear from both experienced scholars and young academics at the start of their careers, as well as doctoral students. We also invite all persons interested in participating in the conference as listeners, without giving a presentation.
We hope that due to its interdisciplinary nature, the conference will bring many interesting observations on and discussions about the role of racism, nationalism and xenophobia in the past and in the present-day world.
Our repertoire of suggested topics includes but is not restricted to:
I. Politics and History
- colonialism/ postcolonialism
- anti-semitism: past and present
- islamophobia and terrorism
- crimes against humanity
- violations of human rights
- racism, nationalism and political correctness
- nationalism and patriotism
- xenophobia and cosmopolitism
- racism, nationalism and religion
II. Anthropology and Philosophy
- ideologies of racism
- nationalism and “will of power”
- cultural determinants of racism, nationalism, and xenophobia
- nationalist nations
- xenophobic societies
- racist generations
- stereotypes and prejudices
- racist myths and phantasms
- racism and scapegoat mechanism
- xenophobia and sense of guilt
- nationalism and narcissism
- projection and repression
- individual and social proneness to hate ideology
- therapy for victims of discrimination
IV. Memory and protection of human rights
- organization of human rights protection
- education against racism, nationalism and xenophobia
- memory in the service of education
- memorial places
- solidarity with victims of violence
- empathy with the Other
V. Literature and arts
- racism, nationalism and xenophobia in literature
- racism, nationalism and xenophobia in film
- racism, nationalism and xenophobia in theatre
- literature and art against hate ideology
- racist artists
Please submit abstracts (no longer than 300 words) of your proposed 20-minute presentations, together with a short biographical note, by 25 JUNE 2022 to:
As our online conference will be international, we will consider the different time zones of our Participants.
The conference will be held virtually via Zoom. Different forms of presentations (also posters) are available
The conference language is English.