PUMPS 2016 : Programming and tUning Massively Parallel Systems
Call For Papers
In its seventh edition, the Programming and tUning Massively Parallel Systems summer school (PUMPS) offers researchers and graduate students a unique opportunity to improve their skills with cutting-edge techniques and hands-on experience in developing and tuning applications for many-core processors with massively parallel computing resources like GPU accelerators.
- PUMPS 2016 Distinguished Lecturers:
Wen-mei Hwu (Univ. of Illinois) and David Kirk (NVIDIA)
- Invited Lecturer:
Juan Gómez-Luna (Universidad de Córdoba)
- BSC/UPC Lecturers:
Xavier Martorell, Xavier Teruel
The summer school is oriented towards advanced programming and optimizations, and thus previous experience in basic GPU programming will be considered in the selection process. We will also consider the current parallel applications and numerical methods you are familiar with, and the specific optimizations you would like to discuss.
Some of the topics that will be covered during the course are:
* CUDA Algorithmic Optimization Strategies
* Dealing with Sparse and Dynamic data
* Efficiency in Large Data Traversal
* Reducing Output Interference
* Controlling Load Imbalance and Divergence
* Acceleration of Collective Operations
* Dynamic Parallelism and HyperQ
* Debugging and Profiling CUDA Code
* Multi-GPU Execution
* Architecture Trends and Implications
* Introduction to OmpSs and to the Paraver analysis tools
* OmpSs: Leveraging GPU/CUDA Programming
* Hands-on Labs: CUDA Optimizations on Scientific Codes; OmpSs Programming and Tuning
Participants will have access to a multi-node cluster of GPUs, and will learn to program and optimize applications in languages such as CUDA and OmpSs. Teaching Assistants will be available to help with your hands-on lab assignments. At poster and code clinic sessions you may show your current work and applications you are optimizing. NVIDIA will award the best poster presentation and course achievements.
- Important Dates:
Applications due: May 31, 2016
Notification of acceptance: June 10, 2016
Summer school: July 11-15, 2016
Due to space limitations, early application is strongly recommended. You may also be suggested to attend an online prerequisite training on basic CUDA programming before joining PUMPS.
- Location: Barcelona Supercomputing Center / Computer Architecture Dept. at Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- Complete information, program and registration: http://bcw.ac.upc.edu/PUMPS2016
PUMPS is organized by the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (NVIDIA GPU Center of Excellence), the University of Illinois, the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, the HiPEAC Network of Excellence, and the PRACE Advanced Training Centre.
Looking forward to see you at the PUMPS Summer School,
- PUMPS Co-Directors:
Mateo Valero (BSC-UPC) and Wen-mei Hwu (Univ. of Illinois)
- Local Organizers:
Antonio J. Peña (BSC), Victor Garcia (BSC-UPC), and Nacho Navarro (BSC-UPC)
- Contact: email@example.com