OSOMI 2016 : On-the-fly services in on-the-fly mobile infrastructures (Mobihoc workshop)
Call For Papers
Workshop @ Mobihoc 2016: On-the-fly services in on-the-fly mobile infrastructures (OSOMI)
Scope of the workshop:
Mobile networks and mobile ad hoc networks in particular have a long history of research on spontaneously, on-the-fly creating an infrastructure that is suitable for the execution of particular communication tasks. In the past, however, the service to be supported by the network has been considered as something fairly static and simple: unicasting, broadcasting, perhaps geocasting. The state of the art in services, however, moves toward dynamically creating services as necessary, on-demand (consider Network Function Virtualization as an example). For such dynamically, on-the-fly created services, support in fixed networks by dynamically creating infrastructures has received some attention in the recent past.
The idea of executing such dynamically configured, dynamically distributed services on a wireless, mobile infrastructure has, however, not been considered in the literature so far. The challenges here are hard: can we reconfigure a wireless network to support a given service layout, e.g., by on-the-fly creation of distributed antenna arrays to span large distances? Can we assign roles of multiple services to different nodes, taking both service and application needs explicitly into account?
We welcome submission on the joint creating and management of both the infrastructure and the service, not necessarily limited to wireless or mobile ad hoc networks. Example topics include, but are not limited to:
• Reconfigurable services in reconfigurable wireless and mobile networks
• Wireless SDN
• Distributed applications in mobile networks, e.g., signal processing
• Reuse of application building blocks
• Role assignment, component placement and scaling, substrate reconfiguration
• Multi-tenancy of wireless domains
• Network Function Virtualisation applied to wireless processing
The workshop is colocated with Mobihoc 2016 (http://www.sigmobile.org/mobihoc/2016/), which takes place in Paderborn, Germany.
• Submission deadline: 15 of March, 2016
• Authors notification: 1st of May, 2016
• Camera-ready due: 1st of June, 2016
• Workshop date: July 5th, 2016
Submission instructions will be posted on the workshop’s web page.
• Holger Karl, Paderborn University
• Antonio de la Oliva, University Carlos III, Madrid
• Xavier Costa Perez, NEC Labs Europe