RICHARD BOLESLAWSKI 2016 : RICHARD BOLESLAWSKI, HIS LIFE AND HIS WORK
Call For Papers
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR CONFERENCE
„RICHARD BOLESLAWSKI, HIS LIFE AND HIS WORK”
We are pleased to invite you to participate in The International Scholar Conference “Richard Boleslawski, his life and his work”, which is going to be held in Warsaw, Poland, in 19-21 May 2016. The conference, organized by The Aleksander Zelwerowicz National Academy of Dramatic Art in Warsaw, aims to create a forum for raising the issues concerning Boleslawski’s life and achievements as theatre and film director, actor, teacher of acting and writer.
Altough the main body of Boleslawski’s biography has been recognized, we are still far from knowing all details of his whereabouts. Some precious new findings are expected to be made during the Conference. There are some exemplary facts concerning his biography:
1. Taking into account the celebration of 250 Years of Public Theatre in Poland, we are waiting for papers, which will regard to Boleslawski’s achievements during his stay in Poland – in Teatr Polski and Teatr Mały in Warsaw, Teatr Wielki in Poznań, as well as his struggles to become a manager of the theatres in Łódź and Lviv
2. We want to take into consideration the Boleslawski’s influence on Stefan Jaracz’s and Leon Schiller’s artistic careers, the influence generally known as „Boleslawski’s issue”, which was vigorously discussed by theatre researchers and non-researchers
3. Comparative analysis of Boleslawski’s directing and acting achievements on the stages of Russia (MAT, First Studio, Saint Petersburg), France, Germany, United States and England, Kachalov Group incl.
4. It is important to analyse Boleslawski’s extensive teaching activity, especially as a leading exponent and modifier of Stanislavsky’s system
5. Information about Boleslawski’s military service in Tsarist Russian Army, officer courses in Tver Calvary School, participation in the campaign of Polish cavalry brigade before 1917 and the confrontation with Tukhachevsky’s invasion in 1920-1921
6. Long-lasting and artistically surprising cooperation between Boleslawski and Edward Gordon Craig
7. Boleslawski’s screenings in the era of silent films: Polish, Russian and Western European
8. New researches in the fields of the Golden Era of Hollywood will fortify the knowledge about Boleslawski’s film career, especially his films Oscar nominations
9. Boleslawski’s writing – not only his essays on acting or staging, but also his bestselling fictions, which weren’t elaborated yet
Further: we are aware of the fact that along with his own creative work in the film, theatre, teaching and writing, Boleslawski was the eminent participant of many processes crucial for performing arts of the 20th century. So, when exploring his career, we would like to perceive it in the context of the crucial processes and trends in the culture of his times. Some examples are as follows:
a. Migration, modifications and adaptation of the Stanislavsky’s system – starting with Moscow and Saint Petersburg, through Warsaw, The American Laboratory Theatre (ALT) and Lee Strasberg’s Actors Studio, and ending with the current American practice
b. Sound revolution in the film industry – 1920s and 1930s
c. Secret history of the MAT First Studio
d. Confrontation of the European-style repertory theatre model with Broadway-like machinery of the theatre industry in the United States
e. Teatr Polski’s permanent struggle: failures and strategic successes in the 1920s (Warsaw)
f. American film industry’s managerial tools at the Golden Era of Hollywood
g. Financing of the theatre institutions: Moscow Art Theater (MAT), Teatr Polski, ALT, Neighborhood, Broadway
h. Polish artists with officer epaulettes of the Tsarist Russia army
i. Forming of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences: Business of the Oscar Awards
j. Art in exile/Émigré art (including: the survival strategies of the Russian emigration culture after 1917 – the Kachalov Group, press and books, Uspenskaya, Tamirov, Baliev, and the others)
k. The color film revolution
We are pleased to invite to participate in the discussion also those researchers, who are not willing to present papers or posters. We are waiting for applications to 1 April 2016.
Please submit abstracts to 1 March 2016, poster’s drafts proposals to 1 April 2016. The time allowed for the presentation of papers is 20 minutes.
Anticipated size of posters: max. B0, min. A0, vertical page orientation (please, inform us about the size of your poster in the application). The best applying posters will be rewarded by a special jury.
Please send your applications to the following adress:
The Aleksander Zelwerowicz National Academy of Dramatic Art in Warsaw
ul. Miodowa 22/24
participation fee: 150 PLN