WbioCC-2016 2016 : 1st Workshop on Bioinformatics Applications for Clusters and Clouds
Call For Papers
Call for Papers *** Extended Deadline ***
Workshop on Bioinformatics Applications for Clusters and Clouds (in conjunction with 16th CCGrid2016)
=============================== WbioCC-2016 ===========================================
1st Workshop on Bioinformatics Applications for Clusters and Cloud Computing in conjunction with the 16th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing
May 16-19, 2016
WbioCC-2016 Call For Papers
A new generation of instruments and simulations has pervaded the experimentation area, creating a data deluge to be analyzed and processed. In bioinformatics, next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology, with its high-throughput capacity and low cost, has revolutionized biological and computer sciences. Experiments are now supported by both workflow and database management systems, in order to manage the volume of data and to provide reproducibility and fault-tolerance of complex bioinformatics analyses. Consequently, the use of large scale computational resources, both parallel and distributed, is becoming essential in the field.
Infrastructures such as clusters and clouds promise to deliver the scalability demanded by large experiments, for speeding-up the development time of new algorithms, for increasing the availability of new methods for the research community, and for supporting large-scale multi-centric collaborations. However, scalable and dynamic systems introduce challenges at the programming, architectural, data representation and management levels, that are often outside of the scope of bioninformatics researchers. Many of these challenges are now considered under the umbrella term Big Data, wherein bioninformatics represents one of the main sources of complexity in data management.
The goal of WbioCC is therefore to bring together researchers in the fields of Cloud Computing, Parallel and Distributed Computing and Bioinformatics, hence establishing a forum for discussing challenges, new ideas, results, applications, and future directions.
* Workshop papers due: February 10, 2016
* Authors Notification: March 01, 2016
* Camera-ready papers due: March 15, 2016
TOPICS OF INTEREST
Big data manipulation in bioinformatics
Data science and data analytics technologies for biological big data
Data provenance techniques
User environments for distributed bioinformatics applications
Non-success stories for bioinformatics applications on clouds or clusters
Architectures for bioinformatics
Parallel and distributed environments for bioinformatics applications
Privacy polices for bioinformatics applications on clouds
Programming paradigms and tools for bioinformatics applications
Performance analysis and monitoring for clusters and clouds
Migration of bioinformatics applications for clusters and clouds
Distributed and Parallel Storage
Efforts and success histories of Latin-American researchers
Authors are invited to submit papers electronically in PDF format.
· Submitted manuscripts should be structured as technical papers and may not exceed 10 letter-size (8.5 x 11) pages including all figures, tables and references using theIEEE format for conference proceedings.
· Submissions not conforming to these guidelines may be returned without review.
· The official language of the conference is English.
· All manuscripts will be reviewed and judged on technical strength, originality, significance, quality of presentation, and interest and relevance to the conference attendees.
· The proceedings will be published through the IEEE Computer Society Conference Publishing Services.
· Submitted papers must represent original unpublished research that is not currently under review for any other conference or journal.
· Papers not following these guidelines will be rejected without review and further action may be taken, including (but not limited to) notifications sent to the heads of the institutions of the authors and sponsors of the conference.
· Submissions received after the due date, exceeding the page limit, or not appropriately structured may not be considered.
· Authors may contact the conference chairs for more information.
Best papers presented at WbioCC-2016, after further revisions, will be encouraged to submit a revised and extended version for a special issue of the journal Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. The special issue also seeks direct submission of original papers that are not yet published or that are not currently under review by other journals or conferences.
Extended versions of distinguished selected papers accepted and presented at WbioCC-2016, after further revisions, will be published in a special issue of the journal Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. The special issue is also open for original, high quality contributions that are not yet published or that are not currently under review by other journals or peer-reviewed conferences are sought.