Excellent Science Days 2015 : Excellent Science Days
Call For Papers
The Young Academy of Europe, the Academy of Young Scholars and Artists and the Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub Wrocław invite scholars (PhD and postdocs), to participate in the Excellent Science Days, to be held in Wrocław (Poland) on November 5-6, 2015.
Context and rationale:
The major objective of the Excellent Science Days is to promote excellence across Europe, through strengthening the potential of young researchers from Central and Eastern Europe to become scientific competitors within European Research and Cooperation Programmes (i.e. ERC, COST, FET, Marie Curie) and enhance their capability to successfully submit the research manuscripts to top level journals in natural sciences.
The event will comprise two parts:
• open event - covering general information on EU research grant possibilities. The basic aspects and practical issues on EU grants will be discussed by either participants or evaluators of ERC, COST, Marie-Curie and FET Open as well as a short introduction to good scientific writing will be provided (5th of November, 15:00-18:00).
• workshop dedicated to "good scientific writing". To make this event as productive as possible, this closed workshop will be provided for 25 selected researchers, who have already proven their skills such as scientific independence, leading a group of researchers and attaining (National, EU) research grants. This part will be covered by a group of 3 editors from Nature and Nature Physics (to take place in Wrocław
on 5th-6th of November).
• What makes a Nature paper? Examples of what top tier journals look for in a manuscript
• Practical exercise (with abstracts): You’re the editor, make a decision
• Elements of style – first steps when creating a paper: designing clear and informative figures and tables
• Practical exercise: effective graphs and figures
• Elements of writing style: Golden rules of writing and structuring the text
• Paper elements: guide to structuring each part of the paper
• Homework: write an abstract and title for your current research
• Peer review, editorial decision letters and dealing with referee reports
• Writing exercises
APPLICATION/REQUIREMENTS: Submit by September 13, 2015:
• curriculum vitae + motivation letter
• a list of 10 most valuable publications
• a list of all grants (national, international) as PI
• cover letter and/or 300 word proposal of your article (to be a part of the workshop)
All applicants will be notified about the outcome of the selection before September 30, 2015.
FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS: Attendance to the activities is free, but registration is required at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The organizers will provide workshops materials and will cover coffee breaks and lunches. Discount prices for the hotel booking will be provided by
organizers. Travelling and living costs have to be covered by the participants themselves.
SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANISING COMMITTEE
• Caroline Lynn Kamerlin (YAE Chair, Uppsala University, Sweden)
• Nedjeljka Zagar (University of Ljubljana YAE Member, ERC Starting Grantee, Vice Chair of the COST Targeted Network "SCI-Generation")
• Andre Mischke (YAE Vice-Chair, Utrecht University, the Netherlands)
• Artur Bednarkiewicz (YAE Member; Institute of Low Temperature and Structure Research, PAS; Wrocław Research Centre EIT+, Wrocław,
Poland; MC of COST European Upconversion Network)
• Magdalena Rowińska Zyrek (Wrocław University, Wrocław, Poland)
• Sabina Górska (Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, PAS, Wrocław, Poland)
• Aleksandra Nowak (Academia Europaea Knowledge Hub, Wrocław, Poland)
• Editors from Nature Publishing Group (Liesbeth Venema, Iulia Georgescu, Bart Verberck ) and Members of the YAE
All correspondence, must be addressed to: Aleksandra Nowak (email@example.com).
For more information please visit: www.ae-info.org or www.acadeuro.wroclaw.pl