AusBuildLCA 2015 : The 1st Life Cycle Assessment Conference for Building and Construction
Call For Papers
Background to conference
The current annual value of the multi-unit residential, commercial and infrastructure sectors in the Australian Building Industry is $138 billion. With green building standards becoming legislated by government policy, part of company-mandated social responsibility and increasingly demanded by end users, a significant share of these projects are being delivered within rating tool frameworks.
The Green Building Council of Australia’s (GBCA) Green Star®, the Urban Development Institute of Australia’s EnviroDevelopment and the Infrastructure Sustainability Council’s IS rating tools all have at least one thing in common – promoting and including credits using Life Cycle Analysis (LCA). Credits deal with LCA of the projects under certification and rely of product based LCA and summary LCA reporting, called Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs).
Billions of dollars worth of Australian projects engage rating tools that require LCA information on products. As the GBCA’s old tools are phased out and new LCA centric credits and tools increase their usage, the demand for green building professionals with LCA skills will surge.
So ask yourself:
• Do you want to part of this growth in LCA as it occurs?
• Do you want to understand LCA and ensure that you can hold your own in team meetings when the new tools and LCA credits are discussed?
• Would you like to grow your expertise to create a new professional niche?
• Do you want to expand your network and practice capability into LCA?
If so, this conference is for you…..
Aims for the conference:
• Demonstrate the potential for LCA to improve the environmental performance of buildings and to reduce cost for environmental compliance and innovation
• Connect developers, construction companies and design professionals with the LCA professionals
• Present applications of LCA currently being undertaken in the materials, building and construction sectors
• Show the recent developments in the databases, tools and approaches for LCA in building and construction
• Building consensus around LCA methods in the building and construction industry
ALCAS would also like to invite abstract submissions to the conference on the following topics.
• LCA case studies
• Precinct studies
• Whole of building LCA
• Civil construction
• Building systems
• Materials innovations
• Experience in Environmental Product Declarations
• Life Cycle Management in construction firms – learning from the LCA
• Tools for LCA and LCM in construction
• Current and future systems for certification
• Data development for building and construction LCA