HCBDR 2015 : Human Centered Big Data Research
Call For Papers
The second annual workshop on Human-Centered Big Data Research will be held in conjunction with IEEE BigData 2015 in Santa Clara, CA, USA on Oct 29 – Nov 1, 2015.
Rapid growth in data volume and velocity has driven a revolution in computational infrastructure and processing capabilities, but how does this change the way humans work in this new Big Data environment? Human-centered computing focuses on technologies that enhance the human’s abilities to perceive, understand, and collaborate. There are many significant challenges for combined human/technology systems that emerge from the dramatic changes in the nature of the technology that humans use to harness Big Data.
The purpose of this workshop is to gather experts in multi-disciplinary fields and discuss research at the intersection of humans and Big Data. This second workshop on Human-Centered Big Data Research (HCBDR) marks a continuing interest for research that aims to understand how people solve problems and make decisions in the face of magnitudes more information, analyze how tools can help us bridge the gap between Big Data and knowledge acquisition, and evaluate how different aspects of Big Data (e.g., volume, velocity, veracity, and variety) impact a user’s sensemaking strategies and performance.
We invite early research results and position statements on topics including:
* Sensemaking processes for Big Data
* Analytical methods aiding in Big Data information foraging and discovery
* Storytelling and narrative generation in Big Data environments
* Challenges with Big Data veracity and variety
* Mental models and Big Data interaction
* Large scale user experience, visualization, and collaboration technology for Big Data
* Aug 30 2015: Workshop submissions due.
* Papers should be no longer than 9 pages in the IEEE 2-column format
* Sep 20 2015: Notification of acceptance.
* Oct 05 2015: Camera-ready of accepted papers due.
* Oct 29-Nov 1(TBD): HCBDR 2015 at IEEE BigData 2015 in Santa Clara, CA, USA.
* Register for the conference and workshop here.
* Chris Argenta, Applied Research Associates
* Alex Endert, Georgia Institute of Technology
* Celeste Lyn Paul, Department of Defense
Please visit www.hcbdr.org for more information about the workshop. More information about IEEE BigData 2015 can be found at the conference website: http://cci.drexel.edu/bigdata/bigdata2015/.