MetaSel 2015 : ECMLPKDD Workshop on Meta-learning and Algorithm Selection
Call For Papers
The 2015 International Workshop on Meta-learning & Algorithm Selection (MetaSel) will be held Monday, September 7th, 2015 in Porto, co-located with ECML/PKDD 2015.
This workshop will provide a platform for discussing recent developments in the area of algorithm selection and configuration which arises in many diverse domains, such as machine learning, data mining, optimization and satisfiability solving.
Algorithm selection and configuration are increasingly relevant today. Researchers and practitioners from all branches of science and technology face a large choice of parameterized machine learning algorithms, with little guidance as to which techniques to use. Moreover, data mining challenges frequently remind us that algorithm selection and configuration are crucial in order to achieve the best performance, and drive industrial applications.
Researchers working on the following topics are invited to submit a paper to the workshop. This list is not exhaustive, and other topics, strongly associated with algorithm selection and meta-learning, will be considered.
- Algorithm / Model selection and configuration
- Meta-learning and exploitation of meta-knowledge
- Experimentation and evaluation of learning processes
- Hyper-parameter optimization
- Planning to learn and to construct workflows
- Applications of workflow planning
- Exploitation of ontologies of tasks and methods
- Exploitation of benchmarks and experimentation
- Representation of learning goals and states in learning
- Control and coordination of learning processes
- Layered learning
- Multi-task and transfer learning
- Learning to learn
- Intelligent design
- Performance modeling and process mining
Submissions and Review Process
Authors may submit a full paper or as an extended abstract. Full papers can consist of a maximum of 12 pages, while extended abstracts are up to 2 pages, in the Springer format (http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-6-793341-0). Full papers should present more advanced work, covering research or applications. Extended abstracts may present current, recently published or future research, and can cover a wider scope. For instance, they may be position statements, offer a specific scientific or business problem to be solved by machine learning (ML) / data mining (DM) or describe a demo or installation.
Papers and extended abstracts in PDF must be submitted online via the Easychair submission interface at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=metasel2015.
All submissions will be evaluated on the basis of relevance, significance of contribution, technical quality, scholarship, and quality of presentation, by at least two members of the Program Committee. All accepted submissions will be included in the workshop proceedings (as CEUR Workshop Proceedings). At least one author of each accepted full paper or extended abstract is required to attend the workshop to present the contribution. A selection of accepted papers will be presented in the plenary session. Other accepted submissions may be presented in the form of short talks and a poster session. The papers selected for plenary presentation will be identified in the Proceedings.
- Paper submission deadline: Monday, June 29, 2015 - Deadline extended!
- Paper acceptance notification: Monday, July 13, 2015
- Paper camera-ready deadline: Monday, July 27, 2015
- Workshop day: Monday, September 7, 2015
- Pavel Brazdil, FEP, Univ. of Porto / Inesc Tec, Portugal
- Joaquin Vanschoren, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
- Lars Kotthoff, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Christophe Giraud-Carrier, Brigham Young Univ., USA