UW AEGI 2015 : The University of Wyoming Annual English Graduate Interdisciplinary Memory and Identity
Call For Papers
The Brain is Wider Than the Sky
The University of Wyoming 4th Annual English Graduate Interdisciplinary Memory and Identity
March 27-29th 2015 Spring Conference
Held at The Hilton Garden Inn 2229 Grand Ave, Laramie WY
Keynote Speaker March 27: Dr. Jeffrey Means
Keynote Speaker March 28: Sonja Livingston
A person's memory is everything, really. Memory is identity. –Stephen King, Duma Key
We all create our own perceptions of world. Through personal and social memory, we construct identity that fits our own unique needs. The University of Wyoming English Graduate Interdisciplinary 2015 Spring Conference, The Brain is Wider Than the Sky, invites papers focusing on the relationship between memory and identity.
The University of Wyoming encourages all applicants with compelling research regarding memory and identity. The conference seeks to consider the following questions:
• How does storytelling shape our memories and identity?
• How does memory intersect with the geographic?
• What do we mean when we say that whole societies “remember,” and what is meant
by a collective memory?
• How do memory and identity play into the dynamic of myth, legend and/or national identity?
• How does a societal or cultural memory work in conjunction, or in disconnection,
with first-person memory as identity?
How can contested memory influence identity
Memory and Identity within creativity
Possible paper topics include but are not limited to:
• Memory and oblivion
• The forms of identity such as religious, ethnic, gendered, or digital
• Competing histories and competing identities within the same person or society
• Changes in memory/identity
• Self, soul, and memory
Authors will deliver a 15 to 20 minute paper with response and questions at the end of each panel.
Attach the following information to your submission:
1) paper title
2) an abstract or proposal of no more than 300 words
3) contact information including name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, institution affiliation.
Send proposals as an email attachment to UWEnglishGC@gmail.com with "The Brain is Wider Than the Sky CFP" as its subject. Proposal deadline is January 1, 2015, and conference candidates will receive an invitation of acceptance no later than February 1, 2015.