SIGMAP 2009 : International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications
Conference Series : International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications
Call For Papers
The purpose of SIGMAP 2009, the International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications, is to bring together researchers, engineers and practitioners interested on information systems and applications in the context of Signal Processing, including theory and practice in the field of telecommunications, image, video, audio, biometrics, etc., and Multimedia Applications related to representation, storage, authentication and communication of multimedia information.
The signal processing field, when combined with multimedia information encompasses a large number of research topics and emerging applications. A list of relevant topics is provided below, though many other topics could be listed.
Ideas on how to analyse and apply signal processing techniques to solve problems involving multimedia information and technology, either in the scope of R&D projects, engineering or business applications, are welcome. Papers describing new methods or technologies, advanced prototypes, systems, tools and techniques and general survey papers indicating future directions are also encouraged.
Papers describing original work are invited in any of the areas listed below. Accepted papers, presented at the conference by one of the authors, will be published in the Proceedings of SIGMAP, with an ISBN. Acceptance will be based on quality, relevance and originality. Both full research reports and work-in-progress reports are welcome. There will be both oral and poster sessions.
The best papers will be selected to appear either in an international journal or in a book to be published by Springer.
Special sessions, case-studies and tutorials dedicated to technical/scientific topics related to the main conference are also envisaged: researchers interested in organizing a special session, companies interested in presenting their products/technology or researchers interested in holding a tutorial are invited to contact the conference secretariat.
Each of these topic areas is expanded below but the sub-topics list is not exhaustive. Papers may address one or more of the listed sub-topics, although authors should not feel limited by them. Unlisted but related sub-topics are also acceptable, provided they fit in one of the following main topic areas:
* Multimedia Communications
* Multimedia Signal Processing
* Multimedia Systems and Applications
Area 1: Multimedia Communications
* Digital Audio and Video Broadcasting
* Multimedia Streaming (IPv4/IPv6)
* Mobile Multimedia
* MPEG Standards and Related Issues
* Universal Multimedia Adaptation
* Layered Coding and Transcoding
* Multiple Description Coding
* Traffic Modelling for Multimedia
* Joint Source/Channel Coding
* Error Control and Concealment
Area 2: Multimedia Signal Processing
* Image and Video Processing
* Speech, Audio and Music Processing
* 3D and Stereo Imaging
* Signal Processing Education
* Distributed Source Coding
* Multidimensional Signal Processing
* Biometrics and Pattern Recognition
* Multimodal Signal Processing
* Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms
* Perceptual/Human Audiovisual System Modelling
* Remote Sensing
Area 3: Multimedia Systems and Applications
* IPTV, VoIP, Web Conferencing
* Interactive Digital Television
* Audio and Video Quality Assessment
* Video Surveillance
* Internet QoS for Multimedia Applications
* Distributed Multimedia Systems
* Multimedia Databases, Indexing, Recognition and Retrieval
* Authentication and Watermarking
* Entertainment and Games
* Human-Machine Interface
* e-Learning, e-Commerce and e-Society Applications
* Design and Implementation of Signal Processing Systems
Authors should submit an original paper in English, carefully checked for correct grammar and spelling, using the on-line submission procedure. Please check the paper formats so you may be aware of the accepted paper page limits.
The guidelines for paper formatting provided at the conference web site must be strictly used for all submitted papers. The submission format is the same as the camera-ready format. Please check and carefully follow the instructions and templates provided.
Each paper should clearly indicate the nature of its technical/scientific contribution, and the problems, domains or environments to which it is applicable.
Papers that are out of the conference scope or contain any form of plagiarism will be rejected without reviews.
Remarks about the on-line submission procedure:
1. A "double-blind" paper evaluation method will be used. To facilitate that, the authors are kindly requested to produce and provide the paper, WITHOUT any reference to any of the authors. This means that is necessary to remove the authors personal details, the acknowledgements section and any reference that may disclose the authors identity.
LaTeX/PS/PDF/DOC/DOCX/RTF format are accepted.
2. The web submission procedure automatically sends an acknowledgement, by e-mail, to the contact author.
Paper submission types:
Regular Paper Submission
A regular paper presents a work where the research is completed or almost finished. It does not necessary means that the acceptance is as a full paper. It may be accepted as a "full paper" (30 min. oral presentation) , a "short paper" (20 min. oral presentation) or a "poster".
Position Paper Submission
A position paper presents an arguable opinion about an issue. The goal of a position paper is to convince the audience that your opinion is valid and worth listening to, without the need to present completed research work and/or validated results. It is, nevertheless, important to support your argument with evidence to ensure the validity of your claims. A position paper may be a short report and discussion of ideas, facts, situations, methods, procedures or results of scientific research (bibliographic, experimental, theoretical, or other) focused on one of the conference topic areas. The acceptance of a position paper is restricted to the categories of "short paper" or "poster", i.e. a position paper is not a candidate to acceptance as "full paper".
EI already agreed to index the proceedings of SIGMAP 2007. Proceedings of SIGMAP 2008 are under evaluation and the proceedings of SIGMAP 2009 will be evaluated by EI after their publication.
* Regular Paper Submission: February 17, 2009
* Author Notification: April 16, 2009
* Final Paper Submission and Registration: April 30, 2009
* Conference Date: July 7-10, 2009
Av. D. Manuel I, 27A, 2.º esq., 2910-595 Setúbal, Portugal
Tel.: +351 265 520 185
Fax: +44 203 014 5432
Joaquim Filipe (Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal / INSTICC, Portugal)
Mohammad S. Obaidat (Monmouth University, United States)
Pedro Assunção (Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, Portugal)
Sérgio Faria (Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, Portugal)