PlacId 2012 : The First International Seminar on Place Making and Identity: Rethinking Urban Approaches to Built Environment
Call For Papers
CALL FOR PAPERS
September 26 – 27, 2012
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE - UNIVERSITAS PEMBANGUNAN JAYA
THE 1st INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON PLACE MAKING AND IDENTITY (PlacId): RETHINKING URBAN Approaches to Built Environment
Architecture and Urban Design are often used as a vehicle to symbolize a certain identity. In this case, as Vale argues, power and politics are insinuated in urban forms. Hence, identity is often contested by the way in which political insinuation in urban forms and the uses of space. In addition, social, cultural and economical context are also taking role in shaping identity.
Yet, the process of place making and identity constitutes urban approaches from many different forces, trying to represent themselves into the built forms. To what extent these urban approaches influence the representations? Will they favor politics, economy, social context or client’s needs in order to accomplish their goals?
Further, when the identity has been established, no one can guarantee that the meaning and use of the space will be the same as intended. The way in which people interpret and use the space may define a new identity, as people have their own interpretations and collective memory about space, the meaning of space thus always contested.
This seminar brings together scholars from interdisciplinary approaches to analyze the concept of place making and identity, and its impact on the use of the space. On the vice versa, it also discusses the role of users in influencing the representations. It opens a debate on how architecture and urban forms become a place for struggles between identity, meaning, and uses both from the power and from everyday users.
This seminar provides a discussion to explore the city in a complete perspective. It will discuss the idea on place making and identity from the view of architects, urban planners/designers and others with social and cultural study backgrounds.
We offer several topics on the seminar;
1) The concept of place and place identity; Being familiar with the concept of a place will help us recognize and be responsive to the process of place making.
2) Political insinuation in architecture and urban design; A development which is driven by the political power.
3) Local value as the element in place making; Livable community consists of significant elements such us place’s history, combination of uses, and the feelings that construct local value.
4) The uses of space; How do people use space? What is the intention of using the space? Do they comply with the system on how the space should be used?
5) Authority and Resistance; While authority often symbolizes the identity through urban forms, representation is often infiltrated by the users of space. The dialectic relationship between authority and resistance in establishing the meaning and uses of space is often exercised in urban arena.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Committee of International Seminar On PlacId
Department of Architecture
Universitas Pembangunan Jaya
Jl. Boulevard Sektor 7 Bintaro Jaya
Phone : +62 21 29045405 Ext. 321