T&SA 2012 : IEEE Conference on Technology and Society in Asia 2012
Call For Papers
The Asian region is the home of some of the world’s most technologically sophisticated engineering, and is also a region of social, economic and environmental diversity, facing the challenges of both under-development and over-development. What can and should engineers and other technologists be doing to meet these challenges? This conference will bring together engineers, computer scientists, technologists, academics, educators, researchers and practitioners from India, China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Australia and other countries to discuss and exchange experience, case studies, theories, designs, work-in-progress, and ideas regarding the social implications of technology in the Asian region.
Co-sponsors are IEEE Singapore, IEEE Victorian Section, the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT), IEEE India Council, IEEE China Council, SSIT Australia and SSIT Japan, with support from the Computer Society of India.
Topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to:
• Technology and development
• Engineering education
• Information and engineering ethics
• Engineers and social responsibility
• Technology, waste and the environment
• Technology, climate change and disaster response
• History of technology.
Keynote and Featured Speakers
• NR Narayana Murthy, Chairman Emeritus, Infosys Ltd
• Professor Kenkichi Hirose, Tokai Institute of Global Education and Research, Tokai University and Special Advisor to the Cabinet Office on the Fukushima nuclear accident
• Michael Gurstein, Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training (CCIRDT), Vancouver
Conference Organisation (partial list)
o General Chair: Dr Greg Adamson, Chair, IEEE Victorian Section
o IEEE Singapore (Hosting city) representative: Dr Rajnish Gupta, Deputy Director, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Singapore Polytechnic
o IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology representative: Jerry Engel, SSIT President
o IEEE India Council representative: Dr Ram Gopal Gupta, Chair IEEE India Council
o SSIT Japan representative: Prof Shiro Uesugi, Treasurer, SSIT Japan
o Program Chair: Dr Michael Arnold, University of Melbourne, History and Philosophy of Science
o Academic Stream Program Chair, Dr Martin Gibbs, University of Melbourne, Computing and Information Systems