WoSAR 2023 : 15th International Workshop on Software Aging and Rejuvenation
Call For Papers
--- WOSAR 2023 - CALL FOR PAPERS ---
For more information, see https://www.wosar.net
WoSAR is the premier international venue to discuss the recent advances and discoveries in theoretical and practical aspects of software aging and rejuvenation research. We encourage submissions targeting interdisciplinary research, in particular those listed in the topics of interest.
WoSAR is organized in conjunction with the International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE) in Florence, Italy, on October 9 - 12, 2023. The conference will be primarily "in presence" with all presenters of accepted papers required to attend the conference physically in Florence. However, we plan to also allow online attendance.
The workshop will be followed by a journal special issue on IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing.
--- TOPICS OF INTEREST ---
This call for papers addresses all researchers and practitioners with an interest about performance and dependability degradation of software systems. Topics addressed in the workshop include (but are not limited to):
- Progressive degradation of performability / availability / reliability / scalability / “-ilities” in software systems.
- On-line feedback control view of software rejuvenation.
- Modeling and characterization of the software aging phenomenon.
- Design and evaluation of rejuvenation techniques.
- Analysis of aging-related faults/bugs, errors, and failures.
- Software test strategies for detecting aging-related bugs.
- Monitoring, detection and data analysis of software aging effects (e.g., memory leaks, database index fragmentation, unterminated processes/threads, accrual of round-off errors, ...).
- New classes of software aging effects.
- Software aging and rejuvenation applied to anomaly detection and security intrusions.
- Software aging and rejuvenation in Big Data and IoT Apps.
- Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) interactions with software aging and rejuvenation approaches.
- Environment dependent bugs and their mitigation techniques.
- Metrics for software performance and degradation.
- Fault localization and testing for aging-related bugs.
- Software refactoring for aging-related software problems.
- Clone detection in aging software.
- Machine learning techniques for aging-related bugs.
- Tools for detection and repair of memory leaks.
- Software aging monitoring and Software rejuvenation techniques for unmanned vehicles like Drones or Cars.
- Software aging and rejuvenation techniques for humans in safety critical environments, like large warehouses.
- Other software aging related phenomena, as for example, age of information.
- Analytical, empirical, and experimental studies of any of the above topics.
For all the above topics, WoSAR is a unique forum to discuss the software aging and rejuvenation impacts on systems from different domains of applicability such as:
Cloud computing, Mobile Edge Computing, Fog computing, Mobile, Machine learning systems, Embedded, Medical, Cyber-physical systems, Cyber-Security, Industrial control systems such as SCADA, Smart Grids, Smart Infrastructures, Smart Cities, Transportation, Telecommunication, Military, System of systems, Databases, High Performance Computing, Software Defined Networks, and others.
--- IMPORTANT DATES ---
Paper submission deadline: July 31, 2023
Paper notification: August 24, 2023
Camera ready papers: August 31, 2023
--- SUBMISSIONS ---
WoSAR 2023 features three types of submissions:
- Research Papers
- Journal-First Paper Presentations
- Short/Position Papers
A Best Paper Award will be assigned to a selected workshop paper.
RESEARCH PAPER SUBMISSION
Authors are invited to submit high quality unpublished research work describing the results of theoretical and experimental software aging and rejuvenation research. All the accepted papers will be included in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
Papers must be written in English and be formatted according to the IEEE authoring guidelines (https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html). Full papers should not exceed eight pages (seven pages plus one page for references) in IEEE style. At least one author of every accepted paper is expected to register for the workshop and present the work.
Paper submission will be done electronically through EasyChair.
JOURNAL-FIRST PAPER PRESENTATIONS
WoSAR 2023 will feature presentations of “Journal-First Papers”, that is, recently published peer-reviewed journal articles related to the topics of the workshop. These presentations will allow researchers to engage directly with the WoSAR community and share their findings to a wider audience. For an article to be considered in this session, it must have been published between January 1, 2021 and August 15, 2023.
Researchers interested in presenting their work in this session, must send email to the program chairs (roberto.natellaATunina.it and laura.carnevaliATunifi.it) with the following information by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on August 22, 2023:
1) A copy of the refereed journal article;
2) One paragraph description of the technical significance of this article in the fields related to SAR;
3) Short biography of the presenting author.
Authors whose papers are selected must be registered for the conference in order to present their paper. Note that the selected papers will NOT be reprinted nor archived by WoSAR 2023. Notifications will be sent by September 1, 2023.
SHORT PAPER AND POSITION PAPER SUBMISSION
Authors are invited to submit short papers and position papers describing challenges and work in progress in software aging and rejuvenation research. All the accepted short papers and position papers will be included in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
Short papers and position papers must be written in English and be formatted according to the IEEE authoring guidelines. Short papers and position papers should not exceed four pages in IEEE style. At least one author of every accepted paper is expected to register for the workshop and present the work.
Paper submission will be done electronically through EasyChair. Authors are required to indicate the category as part of the paper’s title.