VarDial 2023 : Tenth Workshop on NLP for Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects
Call For Papers
Call for Papers: VarDial 2023 - Tenth Workshop on NLP for Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects
VarDial 2023: https://sites.google.com/view/vardial-2023
Shared Tasks: https://sites.google.com/view/vardial-2023/shared-tasks
Together with VarDial 2023, we'll be organizing shared tasks. The website will be updated with shared task information as soon as they are confirmed, latest on January 13. Please check the website for more details.
Co-located with EACL 2023 at VarDial, we anticipate a discussion on computational methods and language resources for closely related languages, language varieties, and dialects.
We welcome papers dealing with one or more of the following topics:
- Corpora, resources, and tools for similar languages, varieties, and dialects;
- Adaptation of tools (taggers, parsers) for similar languages, varieties, and dialects;
- Evaluation of language resources and tools when applied to language varieties;
- Reusability of language resources in NLP applications (e.g., for machine translation, POS tagging, syntactic parsing, etc.);
- Corpus-driven studies in dialectology and language variation;
- Computational approaches to the study of mutual intelligibility between dialects and similar languages;
- Automatic identification of lexical variation;
- Automatic classification of language varieties;
- Text similarity and adaptation between language varieties;
- Linguistic issues in the adaptation of language resources and tools (e.g., semantic discrepancies, lexical gaps, false friends);
- Machine translation between closely related languages, language varieties, and dialects.
In addition to the topics listed above, we welcome papers dealing with diachronic language variation (e.g., phylogenetic methods and historical dialects).
Instructions for Authors
Submissions should be formatted according to the EACL template and submitted in PDF format. The review process will be double-blind. More information is on the website.
Submission deadline: February 13, 2023 (anywhere on earth)
Notification of acceptance: March 13, 2023
Camera-ready papers due: March 27, 2023
VarDial Workshop at EACL 2023 (hybrid): May 2-6, 2023 - the exact date of the workshop to be announced
Yves Scherrer - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Tommi Jauhiainen - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Nikola Ljubešić - Jožef Stefan Institute (Slovenia) and University of Zagreb (Croatia)
Preslav Nakov - Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (UAE)
Jörg Tiedemann - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Marcos Zampieri - George Mason University (USA)
Contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org