iLRN 2023 : 9th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network
Call For Papers
FULL PAPERS submission to the 9th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN 2023) is now closed. However iLRN2023 is still accepting contributions to the LATE ROUND for:
* ACADEMIC SUBMISSIONS - Short Papers, Work-in progress papers and Doctoral colloquium papers
Please submit your:
- Abstracts Due: 2023-01-29
- Full Submission Due: 2023-02-05
* PRACTITIONER SUBMISSIONS - Posters, Workshop proposal, Special session proposal, Panel session proposal and other contributions.
Please submit your:
- Full Submission Due: 2023-03-10
Please visit the iLRN 2023 website for further information: https://immersivelrn.org/pages/ilrn-2023
The iLRN 2023 Organizing Committee
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PROPOSALS
iLRN 2023: 9th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network
May 18-20, 2023 iLRN Virtual Campus powered by Virbela
June 26 - 29, 2023 San Luis Obispo, California, USA; California Polytechnic University
Conference theme: “Learning Across the Metaverse: Building an Evidence-based Framework through Science, Community, Vision, and Adventure”
Conference website: https://immersivelrn.org/ilrn2023
The 9th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN2023) will be innovative and interactive gatherings online and face-to-face for a flourishing global network of researchers and practitioners collaborating to develop the scientific, technical, and applied potential of immersive learning. It is the premier scholarly event focusing on advances in the use of virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), and other extended reality (XR) technologies to support learners across the full span of learning—from K-12 through higher education to work-based, informal, and lifelong learning contexts.
For the second consecutive year, The iLRNetwork is offering online and face-to-face conference experiences, with three days of presentations and activities on the iLRN Virtual Campus, powered by VirBELA in mid-May, followed by four days on location in San Luis Obispo, California at the end of June. Scholars and professionals working from informal and formal education settings as well as those representing diverse industry sectors are invited to participate in the conference in either venue, where they may share their research findings, experiences, and insights; network and establish partnerships to envision and shape the future of XR and immersive technologies for learning; and contribute to the emerging scholarly knowledge base on how these technologies can be used to create experiences that educate, engage, and excite learners.
##### TOPIC AREAS #####
XR and immersive learning in/for:
Educational Technology • Pedagogy • Computer Science • Serious Games • 3D Collaboration • Digital Twins • Embodied Pedagogical Agents • Medical & Healthcare Education • Workforce & Industry • Cultural Heritage • Language Learning • K-12 STEM • Artificial Intelligence • Museums & Libraries • Informal Learning • Community & Civic Engagement • Special Education • Geosciences • Data Visualization and Analytics • Assessment & Evaluation
##### SUBMISSION STREAMS & CATEGORIES #####
(Refereed papers published in IEEE Xplore® digital library - subject to meeting IEEE Xplore's scope and quality requirements.)
Full (6–8 pages including references) paper for oral presentation
Short paper (4–5 pages including references) for oral presentation
Work-in-progress paper (2–3 pages including references) for poster presentation
Doctoral colloquium paper (2–3 pages including references) for oral presentation in the doctoral colloquium
(Abstracts will appear in Proceedings published by iLRN with ISBN and individual DOIs)
- Oral presentation
- Poster presentation
- Guided virtual adventures
- Immersive learning project showcase
- Training Sessions
- Product Demonstration
- Workshop proposal, Special session proposal, Panel session proposal (2-3 page extended abstract describing session published in proceedings)
##### SESSION TYPES & SESSION FORMATS #####
- Oral Presentation: Pre-recorded video + 60-minute live in-world discussion with others presenting on similar/related topics (groupings of presenters into sessions determined by Program Committee)
- Poster Presentation: Live poster session in 3D virtual exhibition hall; pre-recorded video optional
- Doctoral Colloquium: 60-minute live in-world discussion with other doctoral researchers; pre-recorded video optional
- Guided Virtual Adventures: 60-minute small-group guided tours of to various social and collaborative XR/immersive environments and platforms
- Immersive Learning Project Showcase: WebXR space to assemble a collection of virtual artifacts, accessible to attendees throughout the conference
- Workshop: 1- or 2-hour live hands-on session
- Special Session: 30- or 60-minute live interactive session held in world; may optionally be linked to one or more papers
- Panel Session: 60-minute live in-world discussion with a self-formed group of 3-5 panelists (including a lead panelist who serves as a moderator)
Please see the conference website for templates and guidelines.
##### PROGRAM TRACKS #####
Papers and proposals may be submitted to one of 10 program tracks, the first nine of which correspond to the iLRN Houses of application, and the tenth of which is intended for papers making knowledge contributions to the learning sciences, computer science, and/or game studies that are not linked to any particular application area. Additionally, papers can be submitted to a special track on Immersive Learning Across Latin America (see details on the iLRN2023 website).
Academic communities wishing to cater for other topics are welcome to propose a special track by emailing the Program Chairs at email@example.com no later than Oct 31st, 2021, with a short description, rationale for immersive learning, and its program committee.
Track 1. Foundations in Immersive Learning Research and Theory (not linked to any particular application area).
Track 2. Assessment and Evaluation (A&E)
Track 3. Galleries, Libraries, Archives, & Museums (GLAM)
Track 4. Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access, & Social Justice (IDEAS)
Track 5. STEM Education
Track 6. Language, Culture, & Heritage (LCH)
Track 7. Medical & Healthcare Education (MHE)
Track 8. Nature & Environmental Sciences (NES)
Track 9. Workforce Development & Industry Training (WDIT)
Track 10. Self and Co-Regulated Learning With Immersive Learning Environments (SCILE)
Special Track. Immersive Learning Across Latin America: State of Research, Use Cases and Projects
##### PAPER/PROPOSAL SUBMISSION & REVIEW #####
Papers for the Academic Stream and extended-abstract proposals for the Nontraditional Session Stream must be prepared in standard IEEE double-column US Letter format using Microsoft Word or LaTeX, and will be accepted only via the online submission system, accessible via the conference website (from which guidelines and templates are also available).
Proposals for the Practitioner Stream are also to be submitted via the online submission system and prepared in a practitioner submission template, also accessible from the conference website.
A double-blind peer-review process will be used to evaluate all submissions.
##### IMPORTANT DATES #####
- Main round submission deadline (Full Papers only)
- Abstracts Due: 2022-11-20 (CLOSED)
- Full Submission Due: 2022-11-20 (CLOSED)
- Notification of review outcomes from main submission round: 2022-12-23
- Late round submission deadline Academic (Short Papers, Work-in progress papers, Doctoral colloquium) and Practitioner (Posters, Workshop proposal, Special session proposal, Panel session proposal and other contributions)
- Abstracts Due: 2023-01-15
- Full Submission Due: 2023-01-22
- Camera-ready papers for proceedings due (Full papers): 2023-01-31
- Notification of review outcomes from late submission round: 2023-03-03
- Camera-ready short papers, work-in-progress papers and contribution summaries for proceedings due; final practitioner abstracts for conference program due: 2023-04-16
- Presenter registration deadline (online and onsite formats): 2023-04-16
- Deadline for early-bird registration rates: 2023-04-30
- Presenter registration deadline (Work-in-progress papers, Doctoral colloquium, posters, Workshop proposal, Special session proposal, Panel session proposal): 2023-04-30
- Deadline for regular registration rates: 2023-05-10
- Deadline for uploading presentation materials (videos, slides for oral presentations, posters for poster presentations): 2023-05-10
- Conference dates (online iLRN Virtual Campus): 2023-05-18 to 2023-05-20
- Conference dates (San Luis Obispo, California): 2023-06-26 to 2023-06-29
##### PUBLICATION & INDEXING #####
All accepted and registered papers and extended abstracts submitted to the Academic Stream that are presented at iLRN 2023 will be published in the conference proceedings and submitted to the IEEE Xplore® digital library subject to meeting IEEE Xplore's scope and quality requirements.
Content loaded into IEEE Xplore® is made available by IEEE to its abstracting and indexing partners, including Elsevier (Scopus, EiCompendex), Clarivate Analytics (CPCI—part of Web of Science) and others, for potential inclusion in their respective databases.
In addition, authors of selected papers may be invited to submit expanded versions of their papers for consideration by a number of Scopus and Web of Science-indexed journals.
A separate proceedings book with ISBN and individual DOIs will be produced for those who submit extended abstracts to the Practitioner Stream (not to be included in IEEE Xplore®).
##### CONTACT #####
Inquiries regarding the iLRN2023 conference should be directed to the Conference Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General inquiries about iLRN may be sent to email@example.com