VarDial 2022 : Ninth Workshop on NLP for Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects
Call For Papers
VarDial 2022 - Ninth Workshop on NLP for Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects
VarDial 2022: https://sites.google.com/view/vardial-2022
Shared Tasks: https://sites.google.com/view/vardial-2022/shared-tasks
Together with VarDial 2022 we'll be organizing shared tasks. Please check the website for more details.
Co-located with COLING 2022, at VarDial we anticipate discussion on computational methods and on language resources for closely related languages, language varieties and dialects.
We welcome papers dealing with one or more of the following topics:
- Language resources and tools for similar languages, varieties and dialects;
- Adaptation of tools (taggers, parsers) for similar languages, varieties and dialects;
- Evaluation of language resources and tools when applied to language varieties;
- Reusability of language resources in NLP applications (e.g., for machine translation, POS tagging, syntactic parsing, etc.);
- Corpus-driven studies in dialectology and language variation;
- Computational approaches to the study of mutual intelligibility between dialects and similar languages;
- Automatic identification of lexical variation;
- Automatic classification of language varieties;
- Text similarity and adaptation between language varieties;
- Linguistic issues in the adaptation of language resources and tools (e.g., semantic discrepancies, lexical gaps, false friends);
- Machine translation between closely related languages, language varieties and dialects.
In addition to the topics listed above, we also welcome papers dealing with diachronic language variation (e.g. phylogenetic methods, historical dialects).
Instructions for Authors
Submissions should be formatted according to the COLING template and submitted in PDF format. The review process will be double-blind. More information on the website.
Submission deadline: July 11, 2022 (anywhere on earth)
Notification of acceptance: August 22, 2022
Camera-ready papers due: September 5, 2022
VarDial Workshop at COLING 2022: October 12-17, 2022 - exact date of the workshop to be announced
Yves Scherrer - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Tommi Jauhiainen - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Nikola Ljubešić - Jožef Stefan Institute (Slovenia) and University of Zagreb (Croatia)
Preslav Nakov - Qatar Computing Research Institute, HBKU (Qatar)
Jörg Tiedemann - University of Helsinki (Finland)
Marcos Zampieri - Rochester Institute of Technology (USA)