AI Meets Cybersecurity 2022 : Call for Papers: AI Meets Cybersecurity from Journal of Intelligent Information Systems
Call For Papers
Journal of Intelligent Information Systems
Special issue on “AI meets cybersecurity”
Giuseppina Andresini, University of Bari Aldo Moro
Annalisa Appice, University of Bari Aldo Moro
Cyberspace has completely revolutionised our ways of life prompting important progress in science and technology. However, the advantages of cyberspace are now threatened by the systemic risk of proliferation of offensive cyber-tools and cyber-operations.
Cybersecurity is the practice of securing networks, systems and any other digital infrastructure from malicious attacks. Traditional cybersecurity relies on the static control of security cyberspace monitoring according to the pre-specified rules. However, this passive defence methodology is no longer useful in protecting cyberspace against new cybersecurity threats.
AI technologies, such as deep learning, have been recently introduced into cybersecurity to construct smart models for implementing malware classification, intrusion detection, vulnerability and threat discovery. However, it is important to consider that AI can be used also by attackers to continually improve their techniques and refine their offensive capabilities. Studying the effectiveness of both Defensive and Offensive AI is thus critical to ensure modern cybersecurity equipped to face the emerging threats allowed by malicious uses of AI.
The focus of this special issue is on exploring how AI today impacts cybersecurity, for better and for worse, as well as the opportunities and challenges that result. We are interested in both research and practice focusing on how attackers can use AI to augment the attack kill chain, as well as how defenders are evolving AI-based cybersecurity to respond to the challenge. More research-oriented contributions may explore novel attacks or defences, whereas more practical contributions may review the threat landscape or develop tools/datasets to support research in this space.
Topics of interest for this special issue include, but not limited to:
· Adversarial machine learning and the robustness of AI models against malicious actions
· AI approaches to trust and reputation
· AI and blockchain for cybersecurity and privacy
· AI for cryptography
· AI for cyber investigation and threat intelligence
· AI for cybersecurity management in cyber-physical systems
· AI for intrusion detection and prevention
· AI for malware identification and analysis
· AI for phishing detection and prevention
· AI for spam detection
· AI for GDPR compliance
· AI for secure future Internet architectures/protocols
· Big data analytics for security
· Distributed inference and decision making for security
· GDPR compliance of AI
· Graph representation learning in cybersecurity
· Interpretability and Explainability of AI models in cybersecurity
· Model confidentiality
· Open-source threat intelligence and cybersecurity situational awareness
· Privacy preserving AI
· Security of deep learning systems
· Trustworthy data collection and processing using AI techniques
Expected Contributions and Submission Information
The submitted manuscripts (up to 25 pages including references, tables, and figures) must be written in English and describe original research neither published nor currently under review by other journals or conferences. Parallel submissions will not be accepted. All submissions will be peer-reviewed and judged on correctness, originality, technical strength, significance, quality of presentation, and relevance to the special issue topics of interest. The review process of JIIS is single-blinded. The submissions
should be prepared according to the guidelines of JIIS. These can be found
All submissions should be done through the Editorial Manager system of
JIIS (https://www.editorialmanager.com/jiis/default1.aspx) selecting “SI:AI meets cybersecurity”.
· Full paper submission deadline: May 02, 2022
· First-round review to authors: July, 31, 2022
· Publication: end-2022 (tentative)