MGFIM 2011 : Music and Gesture : 2nd Musical Itineraries Forum
Call For Papers
The Center for the Study of Sociological and Musical Aesthetics – CESEM (Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University NOVA of Lisbon), announces the call for papers for the 2nd Musical Itineraries Forum: ‘Music and Gesture’ taking place in Lisbon, 28 and 29 October 2011.
The 2nd Musical Itineraries Forum, dedicated to music and gesture will focus on the study of the relationships between sound, music, gesture, performing arts and technology. A reflection on how the discourses of identity, culture, power and knowledge are encoded in body gestures involved in artistic expression, links the main lines of thought to be presented at this Forum. Theater, dance, audiovisual, new technologies, and their crossover with sound and musical expression are the areas on which reflection and debate will be developed, particularly in relation to the representation and dramaturgy of gesture. Keynote speakers will include Atau Tanaka (Director of Culture Lab, Newcastle University), Adam Parkinson (Culture Lab, Newcastle University) and Paulo Ferreira de Castro (Universidade Nova de Lisboa).
We invite all those interested to submit their paper proposals for a 20-minute presentation, on the above topics and including title, abstract (up to 2000 characters) and five keywords. We also request a brief biography (up to 1500 characters), a phone number and an email address, as indicated on the attached form. Proposals should be submitted via email until 16th March 2011 to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
The acceptance of proposals will be communicated until the 10th of April 2011. All additional informations on the 2nd Musical Itineraries Forum can be found at the CESEM’s website: http://cesem.fcsh.unl.pt.
1. Gesture, Body, Sound and Space
• Gesture dramaturgies in a performative context. Sound and visual interaction and bodily representation.
• Relationships and ruptures between sound, visual and scenic arts. Gesture and sound expression onstage (classical, virtual, public, hybrid… ): opera, theater, dance, audiovisual, and other artistic expressions and practices.
• Sound production gestures, embodying, technology and performance.
• Information sources for musical and scenic gesture theatrical piece, opera and ballet libretto, film script, iconography…). Problematics of movement notation.
2. Sound, Gesture, New technologies
• Body virtualities, interactive gesture and sound production: problematics, potentialities and interdependences.
• Gesture and virtual sound spaces creation. Virtual gesture and playability: sound and videogames, gesture and sound representation reciprocity.
• Performing arts and new technologies of sound and gesture: body and instrument extension, post-human body, meta-body and meta-instrument.
• Semiotics, semiology and digital semantics: transcription and representation of sound gesture.
• Phenomenological aspects: experience and analysis of gesture’s embodying.
3. Sociology of Performance Practices: discourse, representation, power and mediation
• The power discourses, knowledge, culture and identity in gesture, choreography, staging and the performing arts.
• Institutional aspects, markets, production networks, industry and public of performative arts.
• Performative gesture representation in the visual arts: film, literature and other collective cultural practices.
4. Gesture Ontologies and Performative Practices
• Gesture, communication, language.
• Theoretical and historical studies of gesture and body in performance practices. Iconographic sources and dance treatises. Choreographic notation issues in historical musical sources.
By decision of the Scientific Committee any proposals that do not address these topics may however be included in a free communication session.
Paula Gomes Ribeiro and Isabel Pires
Carlos Sena Caires (EA / UCP), Isabel Pires (CESEM / UNL), Isabel Valverde (IHSIS), Luís Sousa (CESEM / UNL), Paula Gomes Ribeiro (CESEM / UNL)
Organizing Committee (CESEM):
Beatriz Serrão, Ernesto Donoso, João Romão, Luzia Rocha, Manuela Oliveira, Rui Araújo
Proposal Submissions: from 20th January to16th March 2011
Acceptance Notification: until April 10th 2011.
English, French, Portuguese
Subscription Form / Proposals Submission
2nd Musical Itineraries Forum: Music and Gesture
Lisbon, 28 and 29 October 2011
Please complete the following information and send to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
University or Institution / Profession:
Telephone / Mobile:
Abstract (up to 2000 characters):
Musical Itineraries Forum : firstname.lastname@example.org
CESEM (Centro de Estudos de Sociologia e Estética Musical)
Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. de Berna, 26-C 1069-061 Lisboa Portugal
Tel. (351) 217 908 300 ext. 1496 Tm. (351) 96 555 37 55