POMCO 2020 : The 2nd International Workshop on Parallel Optimization using/for Multi- and Many-core High Performance Computing
Call For Papers
THE 2nd INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON PARALLEL OPTIMIZATION USING/FOR MULTI- AND MANY-CORE HIGH-PERFORMANCE COMPUTING (POMCO 2020)
CALL FOR PAPERS & PARTICIPATION
As part of The 18th International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2020) http://hpcs2020.cisedu.info/ or http://conf.cisedu.info/rp/hpcs20
10 - 14 December 2020 Barcelona, Spain (Virtual/Online event)
Paper Submission Deadline: 21 September 2020
Submissions could be for full papers, short papers, poster papers, or posters
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES
On the road to exascale, multi-core processors and many-core accelerators/coprocessors are increasingly becoming key-building blocks of many computing platforms including laptops, high performance workstations, clusters, grids, and clouds. On the other hand, plenty of hard problems in a wide range of areas including engineering design, telecommunications, logistics and transportation, biology, energy, etc., are often modeled and tackled using optimization approaches. These approaches include greedy algorithms, exact methods (dynamic programming, Branch-and-X, constraint programming, A*, etc.) and meta-heuristics (evolutionary algorithms, particle swarm, ant or bee colonies, simulated annealing, Tabu search, etc.). In many research works, optimization techniques are used to address high performance computing (HPC) issues including HPC hardware design, compiling, scheduling, auto-tuning, etc. On the other hand, optimization problems become increasingly large and complex, forcing the use of parallel computing for their efficient and effective resolution. The design and implementation of parallel optimization methods raise several issues such as load balancing, data locality and placement, fault tolerance, scalability, thread divergence, etc.
This workshop seeks to provide an opportunity for the researchers to present their original contributions on the joint use of advanced (discrete or continuous, single or multi-objective, static or dynamic, deterministic or stochastic, hybrid) optimization methods and distributed and/or parallel multi/many-core computing, and any related issues.
The POMCO Workshop topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Parallel models (island, master-worker, multi-start, etc.) for optimization methods revisited for multi-core and/or many-core (MMC) environments.
- Parallelization techniques and advanced data structures for exact (e.g. tree-based) optimization methods.
- Parallel mechanisms for hybridization of optimization algorithms on MMC environments.
- Parallel strategies for handling uncertainty, robustness and dynamic nature of optimization methods.
- Parallel/distributed large-scale global optimization (e.g. parallel/distributed cooperative coevolution-based algorithms).
- Parallel/distributed multi- and many-objective algorithms (non dominance-based, decomposition-based, etc.).
Implementation issues of parallel optimization methods on MMC workstations, MMC clusters, MMC grids/clouds, etc.
- Parallel/distributed implementation using productivity-aware programming languages (Chapel, Python, Julia, etc.).
- Software frameworks for the design and implementation of parallel and/or distributed MMC optimization algorithms.
- Computational/theoretical studies reporting results on solving big optimization problems using MMC computing.
Energy-aware optimization for/with MMC parallel and/or distributed optimization methods.
- Optimization techniques for scheduling, compiling, auto-tuning for MMC clusters, MMC grids/clouds, etc.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSION
You are invited to submit original and unpublished research works on above and any other related topics. Submitted papers must not have been published or simultaneously submitted elsewhere until it appears in HPCS proceedings, in the case of acceptance, or notified otherwise. Submission can be for:
- Regular papers, please submit a PDF copy of your full manuscript, not to exceed 8 double-column formatted pages per template, and include up to 6 keywords and an abstract of no more than 400 words. Additional pages will be charged additional fee. Submission should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliation addresses, fax numbers, phone numbers, and all authors' email addresses. Please, indicate clearly the corresponding author(s) although all authors are equally responsible for the manuscript.
- Short papers (up to 4 pages), please submit a PDF copy of your full manuscript, not to exceed 4 double-column formatted pages per template, and include up to 6 keywords and an abstract of no more than 400 words. Additional pages will be charged additional fees. Submission should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliation addresses, fax numbers, phone numbers, and all authors' email addresses. Please, indicate clearly the corresponding author(s) although all authors are equally responsible for the manuscript.
- Poster papers and Posters (please refer to http://hpcs2020.cisedu.info/1-call-for-papers-and-participation/call-for-posters for posters submission details) will also be considered.
Please specify the type of submission you have. Please include page numbers on all preliminary submissions to make it easier for reviewers to provide helpful comments.
Submit a PDF copy of your full manuscript to the Workshop's paper submission site at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=pomco2020. Acknowledgement will be sent within 48 hours of submission.
Only PDF files will be accepted, uploaded to the submission link above. Each paper will receive a minimum of three reviews. Papers will be selected based on their originality, relevance, significance, technical clarity and soundness, presentation, language, and references. Submission implies the willingness of at least one of the authors to register and present the paper, if accepted. At least one of the authors of each accepted paper will have to register and attend (virtually) the HPCS 2020 conference to present the paper at the Symposium as scheduled. By submitting the paper to the HPCS conference, all authors agree to abide by all HPCS conference paper submission, publication and presentation policies as well as following ethical and professional codes of conduct, including those of the professional co-sponsoring organizations. For more information, please refer to the Authors’ Info and Registration Info pages.
Accepted papers will be published in the Conference proceedings. Instructions for final manuscript format and requirements will be posted on the HPCS 2020 Conference web site. We intend to have the proceedings formally published in hard and soft copies and be available at the time of the conference. The proceedings are projected to be included in the IEEE or ACM Digital Library and indexed in all major indexing services accordingly.
Plans are underway to have the best papers, in extended version, selected for possible publication in a reputable journal as a special issue. Detailed information will soon be announced and will be made available on the conference website.
If you have any questions about paper submission or the Workshop, please contact the Workshop's organizers.
Paper Submissions: ----------------------------------------------- 21 September 2020
Acceptance Notification: ----------------------------------------- 06 October 2020
Camera Ready Papers and Registration Due by: ----------- 16 October 2020
Conference Dates: --------------------------------------------- 10-14 December 2020
Université de Lille /INRIA Lille - Nord Europe/CNRS CRIStAL
Phone: +33 3 59 35 86 27
Tiago Carneiro Pessoa
Phone: +33 7 69 99 36 45
More Coming Soon.
International Program Committee*:
All submitted papers will be rigorously reviewed by the Workshop's technical program committee members following similar criteria used in HPCS 2020 and will be published as part of the HPCS 2020 Proceedings.
(* Committee formation is pending and will be finalized shortly.)
For information or questions about Conference's paper submission, tutorials, posters, workshops, special sessions, exhibits, demos, panels and forums organization, doctoral colloquium, and any other information about the conference location, registration, paper formatting, etc., please consult the Conference’s web site at URL: http://hpcs2020.cisedu.info/ or http://conf.cisedu.info/rp/hpcs20 or contact one of the Conference's organizers.