All CFPs on WikiCFP
Present CFP : 2023
The 28th International ACM Conference on 3D Web Technology
Sponsored by ACM SIGGRAPH, in cooperation with Web3D Consortium and supported by Eurographics
October 9 to 11 in a hybrid format (in-person and online)
San Sebastián, Spain
# Important dates: #
# Paper Submission: June 15th, 2023 #
# Notification of acceptance: July 27th, 2023 #
# Final paper version: August 13th, 2023 #
Towards interconnectivity of Metaverses
The purpose of the 28th International ACM Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D 2023) is to study and share the principles and the latest advancements in connected 3D universes. Provide navigation metaphors that allow users to move seamlessly from one virtual world to another.
The goal of the conference and of the Web3D community, which has a rich history of developing technologies that enable the creation, transmission, access, interaction, sharing, and visualization of 3D universes. Bringing together a diverse group of individuals to share innovative and influential thoughts on how the metaverse can revolutionize the future of communications. This includes topics such as 3D applications and services accessible through a wide range of devices, from simple mobile phones to more complex systems such as AR/VR headsets, and heavily populated virtual worlds, especially those connected through high-speed, low-latency networks.
The 28th International ACM Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D 2023) is a major event for the Metaverse community. Sponsored by ACM SIGGRAPH, in cooperation with Web3D Consortium and supported by Eurographics, this conference is hosted by Vicomtech and brings together experts from around the world to discuss the latest research, development, and practices related to the Metaverse.
After the initial hype surrounding the Metaverse concept in 2021, many different virtual worlds and platforms emerged where users can interact with each other and virtual objects. To achieve widespread adoption, the Metaverse must overcome several challenges, such as creating realistic virtual environments, improving user-friendly interfaces, ensuring reliable connections between users and metaverses, addressing financial issues such as access costs, and creating stable revenue streams to support growth. Addressing these challenges requires long-term, focused, and consistent solutions.
Presented works will include a wide range of fields including, but not limited to, education, healthcare, e-commerce, informatics, cultural heritage and tourism, entertainment, mass media, military, and construction. The conference welcomes submissions from all relevant domains, as the goal is to create a rich tapestry of ideas on the future of 3D connected universes.
Topics and areas of interest:
Use the following list of the topic areas as a reference rather than a limitation. We welcome all topics related to Web/mobile 3D content creation, immersive realities, 3D compression, publishing technology, tools, and related studies.
* VR/AR/MR/XR: virtual, augmented, mixed, cross and extended realities
* Novel interactive 3D web applications in all areas and sectors such as entertainment, education, training, cultural heritage and tourism, digital twins, medicine, military, smart-manufacturing / industry 4.0, information & data visualization, science, geographic information systems, digital globes, subsurface exploration and mining, integrated marine data management and visualization, smart city, building information modeling, and architecture.
* HTML5 3D, WebGL, WebGPU, glTF, MPEG and other languages and formats that support the 3D Web
* Semantic Web for 3D objects and scenes
* X3D application examples
* Novel APIs, toolkits, and frameworks for 3D web and associated application domains
* 3D content creation and modeling, 3D content scanning, reconstruction, compression, printing, visualization
* Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies for 3D processing and its various use cases
* Algorithms for shape modeling, optimization, analysis, and processing
* 3D technologies for Digital humans
* 3D technologies for Medical and Health Data
* Digital Twins on the Web: modeling, cinematics, photorealism, simulation, etc.
* User-centered applications: usability, ergonomics, speed and responsiveness, customization of the virtual experience
* Visual analytics to enhance understability of large data in virtual environments
* Cloud-based rendering, services, interoperability for large-scale models, animations, virtual worlds and metaverses
* End to end systems for streaming, compression, and transmission of 3D content
* Motion capture for composition and streaming of behaviors and expressions
* Multi-modal 3D interaction paradigms, including spatial UI, gesture and voice
* Diffusion and adoption of 3D Web technologies, comparative studies, historical perspectives, www integration
* Mobile 3D applications and usability studies, including navigation performance and immersion Impact.
* Metaverse in education and its impact on learning outcomes.
* Metaverse in digital legacy and its impact on tourism.
* Metaverse in entertainment and its impact on traditional media.
* Metaverse for training and simulation in various industries.
* The impact of the Metaverse on speech, communication, interaction, and physical spaces
The accepted papers and poster summaries will be published in the Web3D 2023 ACM Conference Proceedings, available in the ACM Digital Library. Works selected for the Best Paper awards will be invited to submit extended versions to a selection of specialized journals.
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference.
*** Instructions for authors are available here***
*** Submission ***
Note: Full, short paper, and Poster submissions are accepted via EasyChair. If you have a submission in other categories, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the program and conference topics can be sent as well to email@example.com.
The following paper categories are welcome:
* Full or short papers presenting original work in 3D Web research and applications may be submitted in long or short form (up to 9 or 4 pages, EXCLUSIVE of the page(s) devoted to bibliographic references and short appendices). Do include a full citation list. Submissions will be peer-reviewed.
* Posters present results of ongoing or recently completed work in 3D web research and application. The poster format offers the opportunity to interactively present and discuss interesting results to the Web3D community. Posters should be submitted in the form of abstracts (2 pages). Posters must be formatted using the document templates for conferences. Upon acceptance, the final revised poster is required in paper and electronic format. Printing and delivery of the poster is the author's responsibility.
* Tutorials are an opportunity to present introductory and advanced applications of 3D Web technologies to students and to experienced practitioners. Tutorial subjects can include practices for authoring interactive 3D scenes and using 3D graphics in diverse application areas. Especially welcome are tutorials in the use of open-source software and Web applications which can be presented in hands-on sessions at the conference. Submissions should include names, affiliations, and contact information, title of the tutorial, and a short summary including: the topic of interest, subjects covered, learning objectives, intended audience, prerequisites, and level of difficulty.
* Workshops provide a forum for researchers and practitioners from both the Web and 3D multimedia communities to discuss and exchange positions on current and emergent 3D Web topics. Workshops may take the form of presentation sessions moderated by workshop organizers or open discussions of new knowledge on a specific topic of interest. Each session will last 90 minutes with presentations and discussions. Submissions should include names, affiliations, and contact information, title of the workshop, and a short summary including: the topic of the emergent technology and its use cases and challenges.
* Demonstrations enable artists, content designers, and developers to share their innovative 3D work at the conference. Artwork and applications developed for various platforms, including the Web, desktop, mobile, and VR/AR systems, are welcome. Submission should include names, affiliations, and contact information, title of the demonstration, and a short summary including: technology and tools used, use case and market readiness.
* Industrial Use Cases enable practitioners to demonstrate how 3D Web technologies may be used in industrial applications. A special track during Web3D 2023 will be devoted to industrial use cases to share best practices, and requirements of using 3D in various application domains. Each presentation will last 20 minutes with 5-10 minutes for discussions. Submission should include names, affiliations, and contact information, title of the presentation, and a short summary including: Application domain and industry use case.
* Standards Sessions provide a meeting for researchers and practitioners from both the Web and 3D multimedia communities to discuss and exchange standardization issues on current and emergent 3D Web topics. Submission should include names, affiliations, and contact information, title of the presentation, and a short summary including: 3D emergent Standardization topic and status.
Accepted proposers of Tutorials, Workshops, Demonstrations and Industrial use cases will be asked to provide a biography paragraph for each presenter, a representative image, and publishable course notes suitable for use on the conference proceedings, web site and promotional materials.
The CFP at a glance
*** Submission ***
Questions about the CFP, program and conference should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information on the conference is available at:
- Paper Submission: June 15th, 2023
- Notification of acceptance: July 27th, 2023
- Final paper version: August 13th, 2023
- Conference dates: October 9th to 11th, 2023
- General Chair: Jorge Posada, Vicomtech
- Donald Brutzman, NPS
- Nicholas Polys, Virginia Tech
- Anita Havele, Web3D
- Aitor Moreno, Vicomtech
- Alberto Jaspe, KAUST
- Imanol Munoz-Pandiella, UPC
- Didier Stricker, GraphicsVision.ai, DFKI
Industrial Liaison Chair:
- Christophe Mouton, EDF
- Ane Elizalde, Vicomtech